Friday, December 14, 2012

My family

I think I'm just going to make this my personal blog and put everything from updating you on my (uneventful) life to ranting about my inner thoughts. Whoopee! Now I can tell the internet about my family and still try to remember all of mother's rules on what-to-share-on-the-internet. [challenge accepted]

 Since we're on that note: 11 days to Christmas. :)

 It all began once upon a time in the late 1970s...when my mom first met my dad. Or vice versa. Everything before their marriage is shady for me, anyway. Like a cloud of toxic grey gas shrouding their courtship days. I don't know what happened. All I know is that they met in high school, weren't high school sweethearts but eventually went on in life and found each other again.

 My dad proposed to my mother seven times before she said yes, and they had a small marriage in a church on December 4 in the early 1990's. They started going to the same church together and soon enough, I was born. First child of the family. They named me Kirstin because I was born in October. Why? Because my dad named James was born in September, and my mom named Lorna was born in November. It only seemed natural that since I was miraculously born in the month in between, I was to be named as such.

 It's an exotic Scandinavian name, they told me. Even if half the people you meet won't spell it right at first.

 So I grew up in a quaint little family of three, until six years later, when I got news that my mother was preggers. Again. I was the happiest older-sister-to-be ever. I'd even wished it was a boy to balance out the family. ...me and my stupid OCD instincts.

 And of course, I had not known then I was bringing a death wish upon myself upon myself something more deadly and lethal than a nuclear bomb.

 ...a baby brother.

 So God decided to grant my prayers and give me a little brother who also miraculously born in August. We named him Ian and the I-J-K-L Aug-Sep-Oct-Nov oh-all-of-our-birthdays-have-a-3-in-them family joke was thus born. He became the younger child and I became the older sister, and we've been the only two children in the family since. My brother was treasured because he was the only male descendant in the family who could carry on the family name.

 To this day I think of myself as one of the biggest influences in his life; the reason why he was introduced to the Internet so early (6! When I was 8 I still had a dinosaur for a desktop computer), why he learns sarcastic comebacks so fast, and all that. He's also one of the reasons (along with my mom and her soap) I'm adaptively slow at learning to use vulgarities habitually ("Mom if he picks up bad words at school it's not my fault." "Eh, whatevs.").

 And that is my immediate family. I'll probably get to my extended family nearer to Christmas since we spend it with them every year and they have all sorts of quirks worth talking about.

 Ciao for now. x

No comments:

Post a Comment